Wednesday, October 27, 2010

#3. Read!

I remember winning an award for reading more than 50 books in the 4th grade. I received a certificate for this effort, and I am sure it's still framed somewhere, as Momma has never thrown away any of my accomplishments.  My favorite subject in high school was English (even with all the required reading), and it was fun. I used to love to read, so where did it all go so terribly wrong?

After being asked repeatedly, "Hey Girl, have you read _____ yet?" or "I just read ____. It's the best book - you just  have to read it..." and inevitably, (pause) I hadn't.

Thus, reading a book each month became #3 on my top 40 list.  I pondered following in the footsteps of great book clubbers (think Oprah), and I applaud those efforts - but decided that I wanted to read books of a certain "temperament".   Certainly there are great works of art written about all kinds of trials, many with descriptions of abuse, hostility, hurt, danger, and sadness - but these themes are not appealing to me. Therefore, I have opted to read books that are of an "uplifting nature" as this is a year of inspiration and happiness and accomplishment! (No doldrums allowed.) So, I plan to announce each selection in the Calendar section for the upcoming month.

My first choice is My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme. I've just started reading it, on recommendation from my cousin, I'll call her Way. She's a brilliant writer with great taste in just about everything, so it must be good. I expect a great story of triumph, love, and most of all: great success after 40! Stay tuned for more....my review to come soon!

Bon appetit!

...and happy reading,

GT40

No comments:

Post a Comment