Sunday, November 21, 2010

#39. Shopping for Spode

From the "Treasure" section of the Top 40 list,  'tis the season to shop for fine china.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, and thoughts of beautifully decorated tables - I've started shopping for pieces of one of my china patterns. (And yes, I have more than one pattern of fine china....do you really want me to serve you Easter dinner on a turkey plate?)

I've chosen to focus on my Thanksgiving china: Westbourne by Spode (distributed by Williams-Sonoma).

Love it.




In order for me to complete this item, and ultimately check it off the list - I've come up with a China Acquisition Plan or CAP...


1 - Take an inventory of the items I already have:

8 Buffet/Charger Plates (pictured above) These are HUGE - 12 3/4 inches in diameter. Seriously.
4 Dinner Plates (pictured below)
8 Bread & Butter plates (the little one in the left corner)
1 Oval Turkey Platter (not pictured)




















...and 8 Dessert/Accent plates (with the pumpkin below)





2. Research available resources.

Because Williams-Sonoma discontinued this pattern, I can't just run to the store and purchase a new piece.  The best resource I've found is Replacements, LTD in Greensboro, NC; thankfully they're online at www.replacements.com. This company boasts of carrying 300,000+ china patterns, and of course - they had mine! It's a great resource to identify all the pieces within a set...I didn't even know casserole dishes had been manufactured in my pattern at all! One drawback: seems a little pricy. Thus another source is eBay, of course.

3. Make a list of the pieces I'd like to collect:


4 more Dinner Plates
8 Soup Bowls
8 Cup & Saucers
1 Covered Casserole

Very good.

4. Acquisition Finalization

Based on the list above, I would like 21 new pieces. (Mercy.)

Well, Santa sounds like a good place to start, and I've been good all year long....(wink wink). So I think I'll ask for one piece from Santa, and then count up any Falaladaaallars that might come in my stocking. Stay tuned, we'll inventory again in January.

I guess this Thanksgiving will be a little more mix-n-match, but wait 'til next year!

Happy Thanksgiving!

GT40

No comments:

Post a Comment