Monday, November 15, 2010

#5. 10th Annual Carolina Pottery Festival

Roaring Gap, North Carolina is a very tiny, little town near the Blue Ridge Parkway. I recently visited there, and had the great pleasure of experiencing good old-fashioned fall foliage, and we also visited a local pottery studio. I have to admit, I've never thought much about pottery...but I find myself absolutely smitten.

This is Roaring Gap - need I say more?




As luck would have it, the 10th annual Carolina Pottery Festival, just happened to be in my home town AND was sponsored my one of my favorite magazines: Our State.
(Our State is a mag with content only about North Carolina. It's sooooo great! I learn so much about our state's history, local/regional foods - people, places, things.) Yippee!!



....Ok, I'm a dork. (Takes one to know one, don't cha know.) 

You'd think that an event of this caliber would certainly be held at the local Arts Council. Over 100 local and regional potters were exhibiting, including several from Seagrove, NC....the mecca of potters in these parts. But no, this event was held at the Cleveland County Fairground. So, a bit of elegance went right out the barn door...

















Anywho, all I can say is, it was truly incredible!


Pottery unlike anything I've ever seen.

















Some of my favorites were:


Hamilton Williams Clayworks, Valdese, NC




Linda Dalton Pottery, West End, NC





Lucinda Dulin Pittman, Saluda, NC





This event was soooo much fun, that I've crossed it off my list - but I may have to reinstate it! I feel sure there's more out there to see and do - so stay tuned for more.

Big, big love for some clay of my own, so I'm off to research pottery classes...

GT40

No comments:

Post a Comment