Monday, December 6, 2010

#10. Lemon curd or clotted cream?

Yum. Both, please and thank you.

Yesterday, on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, I went to tea at the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. Each year, the Garden hosts a Holiday Tea, then afterwards patrons can enjoy the Garden decorated with holiday decorations and lights. To be honest, it was quite lovely and cold as the dickens outside. No, we did not the tea outside. DSBG has an amazing conservatory - and the tea was held inside the glass walls overlooking the Gardens.

I am sure you are all wondering if we had crumpets, or jam and bread (Sound of Music)....and, no. We did have delicious vanilla scones which we were served lemon curd and clotted cream. (Yum and yum, again.) We tasted four different teas - so I don't think this was a typical afternoon tea, it was more like a wine-tasting, just no wine...all tea. Yet, since I have no idea what's proper or not - we had a great time!

Our tea table. The tray included cucumber sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches*, scones, brownies, chocolate truffles, and strawberry petit fours. (*Note: this is North Carolina, where chicken salad is often substituted for smoked salmon. I have no further explanation.) And those sticks on the right are sticks filled with honey.





















So here's our "menu" of teas: Vanilla Chai Spice, Berry Fruit Cocktail, Chocolate Rooibos, and Sugar Plum.





















What I have failed to share is the rather intimidating list of instructions on how to properly "mash" (brew) a cup of tea. 10 steps. I need a 12-step program to commit to the 10-steps described on the back of this menu! (Probably sticking with my appalling microwavable mug.)

Anywho...

The decorations were very nice, and put us all the holiday spirit. The orchid tree was my favorite - all the orchids here were alive, blooming, and gorgeous.






















Check off the afternoon tea! Again, this one was so much fun - I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for another opportunity. I have always been a full-time coffee-drinker, but I think I may be part-time tea-drinker in the making.

Cheers,

Holli a.k.a. Girl Turns 40


No comments:

Post a Comment