Tuesday, December 21, 2010

#17. Christmas Jelly - sort of....


Today I received my Jelly-of-the-Month for December. 
I think I was expecting something …red-fruited, but much to my surprise – it’s peach.

A Pillowy Peach Preserve.




















Two thoughts:

First, I like the word “pillowy.” Only good things can be described as ‘pillowy’ such as:

Pillowy Meringue
Pillowy Whipped Cream
Pillowy Marshmallows
Pillowy Puff Pastry
Pillowy Gnocchi
Pillowy Bean Bags
Pillowy Grandma Laps
Pillowy Sand
Pillowy Snow 
Pillowy Clouds
Pillowy Mattresses
Pillowy Pillows (of course)
and I am sure there's more...oh yes, Pillowy Peaches.

Second, what’s the difference between jelly, jam and preserves anyway?
Well, after I consulted the International Jelly & Preserve Association found at www.jelly.org, (seriously) I discovered three main tiers of the “pectin” world.

All jellies, jams, and preserves are basically the same: 
Fruit + Sugar + Pectin
.... it’s the fruit that makes the difference.

Jelly – made with just fruit juice
Jam – made with crushed fruit or fruit pulp
Preserves – made with chunks of fruit; and the Cadillac of the jelly world.

The End. 
All you ever wanted to know, and more….but I was curious.

Holli a.k.a. Girl Turns 40




No comments:

Post a Comment