Sunday, December 12, 2010

#21. "Angel" Volunteers - Part 1

'Tis the season of giving. "Giving of your time, talents, and treasure" as the saying goes....

and it seems the appropriate time of year to turn my attention to the Spiritual/Service section of my Top 40 'drops' list.  In 2009, a whopping 87% of Americans gave something: money, volunteer time, or both to charitable organizations. We are definitely a culture of giving people - and I think that's very inspiring.

Each year, my company has a slew of volunteer opportunities, thus it makes it very easy to "give back".  For my volunteer project his month, I've decided to adopt an "Angel" (Child) from our local Salvation Army - as this is a company sponsored activity. In fact, I've adopted 2 "Angels" -  two siblings. The "Angel" program is pretty great - families who are really struggling can request gifts for their children. I can't imagine the pride they must swallow to ask perfect strangers for help. The idea is, that if volunteers and concerned citizens can help with the gifts, then parents can focus their dollars on basic needs - food, clothing, and shelter. Makes sense to me.

Because my "Angels" are older children, their wishes are 'harder' to fill...and by that, I mean they are electronic.     I am not especially tech-y, so my list of requested items were things I had never heard of:

Leapster Explorer
PSP - Dragon Ball 2
Air Hog (This is not necessarily, electronic - but a remote controlled helicopter)

How about a jumprope? or a game of Monopoly? Ummmm......no.

So, needless to say - I set out to Target very early one morning, and had the best thing to happen to me.....the young man in Electronics was ALONE. It was 8:02am, and I was his ONLY customer. Hark the herald angels sang.

Here's my loot, and I did buy the Air Hog - it's just not pictured. (Battery pack goes with the Leapster.)






















Stay tuned for "Angel" Volunteer - Part 2. I am actually volunteering at the Christmas Center, where families come in to pick up their items, and volunteers help them to 'shop' for gifts.

If you haven't thought about volunteering yet during the holiday season, do. It makes you feel good.

GT40

PS - Headed to Charleston, SC today for the TOTM! Next posting: Tuesday, December 14

No comments:

Post a Comment