Wednesday, February 23, 2011

#3. February Book Review - Writing Jane Austen















Grade: B-

I have always been a fan of Jane Austen. I love P&P (Pride & Prejudice) and S&S (Sense & Sensibility) – although it’s been a while since I’ve read them. 
My book choice for this month was particularly enticing…the main character, Georgina Jackson is a young, published writer who is given the opportunity to complete a newly discovered manuscript of an unfinished, unpublished novel purportedly penned by Jane Austen herself.  

Sounds promising, huh? What fun, right?

Well… hence my grade of B-. 

The book starts out pretty favorably. Georgina is hesitant and unsure of her ability to complete the book (Seriously! I would feel the same way…), and certainly in the caliber expected by her literary agent and the General Public. Georgina’ s agent is characterized similarly to Meryl Streep’s character in the Devil Wears Prada, and is pretty much a Cruella. There’s some conflict there – but the majority of the story revolves around the storyline of her bullying and stalking Georgina…demanding chapters, and updates, and general Devilish behavior.  Meanwhile, Georgina experiences writer’s block, procrastination, several distractions, and general lack of inspiration as ongoing issues for getting the book written.

There are a few supporting characters – but their storylines never meshed into anything meaningful for me. And of course, there’s also a pseudo-love interest….Henry, whom she rents a room.

To be honest, for the vast majority of the book…she is running away or hiding from the bosses. (I wonder how that tactic would work for me….? Not so much, I’m guessing.) Chapters and chapters and chapters go by with the same general theme. Then finally, as if the author’s real deadline was looming… the book is complete (although not quite what I was expecting), romance ignited, and all tied up in a bow within a couple of pages. Hummph.

How about a little more “Boom-Boom-Pow” in the middle and definitely at the end, Fergie?

I was left wishing and wanting for more - like Elizabeth Bennett.

And so, not to be a Cruella myself, there were some good points:

The author clearly has an affinity for Jane Austen, and has researched JA thoroughly. She writes about visiting Bath, riding a JA tour bus, and visiting JA museums - all sounding like the voice of experience. She gives a few wonderful descriptions of visiting Jane Austen-ish locations and attractions, and I  appreciated this “historical” input and imagery. It helps.

Additionally, the book is an easy read. It would be a decent beach novel or curl-up-by-the-fire novel, as her writing style is simple and straightforward. I prefer simple prose, it's easier on my brain.

But….
Mmmm....
I think I’ll dust off my P&P or my S&S, and brush up on the classics. 

Keep reading,
GT40

No comments:

Post a Comment