Tuesday, March 8, 2011

#21. Volunteer Time

So I haven’t written about volunteering in a long time – it’s truly a passion, and certainly on my list of Top 40 ‘drops’ to accomplish this year… on a recurring basis! 

This month, I delivered meals to home-bound individuals (mostly seniors) for the local Meals on Wheels program.  I volunteered with this organization last month, and enjoyed it so much – I wanted to do it again, and to write about this time.






































The amount of food this organization produces is amazing – they have their own kitchen, with volunteer staff from a local culinary school. Additionally, because their “customers” often have dietary restrictions due to health issues, they must buy food and prepare special meals accordingly.

They serve over 750 meals through 90+ routes throughout the local service area!! These colored thumbtacks represent the individuals, on a specific route – and this map covered the wall.
























My route was a shorter one – just 3 patrons.  We worked with the volunteers at the hub to load up the correct meals and drinks, and then packed the cooler with an ice pack for the trip. We were assigned partners – one driver (me) and one navigator (my friend). And we were off….



















Of course, pictures weren’t allowed of the actual deliveries to the recipients, but it was a rewarding experience.  Our instructions were to knock at the door, and announce, “Friendship Trays!” then wait for someone to answer the door.  One of our deliveries was to an older lady who was bedridden and her bed was literally next to the door. She was kind and gracious to us, and suddenly instead of feeling like I was somebody (Look at me, I am volunteering!)… I felt very insignificant.

The next stop was to an old, rundown ‘millhouse’ just outside the city center. The house was so dilapidated, I quickly assessed the porch floor – just to be sure it would hold me. I knocked on the door, announced my salutation, and much to my surprise – the door was slowly opened, by a four-year-old girl.  I could see an older lady on the couch behind her – my customer. She instructed the little girl to take the trays – I thanked her, and complimented her Halloween costume. She grinned, and shut the door.

Wow. What a humbling experience. 
I don't want you think I feel pity for these individuals, because I don't...I feel honored to serve them. I can't wait to go again.

Believe me – volunteering is good for the soul… and good for the ego. It will quickly realign your values and remind your brain to practice sincere gratitude.

(This mural was painted on the wall...)


















 - GT40

No comments:

Post a Comment