Saturday, March 12, 2011

#9 Operation: Recipe File - Part One


Operation: Recipe File
Current Time: 1045 hours
Location: Various coordinates throughout the house
Reporting for Duty: Girl Turns 40
At 1100 hours, Operation Recipe File will officially commence, please stand by!

Ok, enough with the military overtones, there’s serious work to be done.

I must admit, I love all things related to good food. I love cooking and baking, but I also have a dirty little secret.  I am a recipe/magazine hoarder. I don’t think I’m at the point of calling Niecy Nash (yet), but certainly I recognize the ‘foolishness of it all’ so to speak….

My goal today is simple: I plan to plan a plan.

1. Identify the Problem.
Well, the problem is everywhere.
Here, on the floor:

















Here, in a box:

















Here, in binders and folders:































Here, on the refrigerator:





















(Please, no judging! I hope you have similar issues with recipe organization… I would hate to be alone at the support group meeting.)

First order of business is to scope out a work surface (the kitchen table), and gather the Problem into one room.

2. Research possible solutions.
I’ve spent a good deal of time researching various sources about the best ways to organize recipes. Two of my favorites are:

From Real Simple:

From Peter Walsh, Oprah’s organization guru:


Neither are perfect solutions for me, so I am still formulating my plan.

3. Formulate a plan.
Ummm….right. Yes, still formulating – and obviously the nitty-gritty part.
To scan or not to scan – that is the question.
To be revealed in Operation: Recipe File –Part Two, so stay tuned!

4. Establish a timeline for completion.
This is the easy part – by the end of March. It’s only taken me 10 years to complete.

Working away today,

Holli a.k.a. GT40





No comments:

Post a Comment