Wednesday, March 2, 2011

#4. Pride and Prejudice - the Colin Firth version




















Ok, I’m a day late and a dollar short.  Well, two days late – so two dollars.

I should’ve gotten this posted on February 28…sigh.
The Girl is doing the best she can.

My selection for February was the 1995 version of P&P.

Grade: A, but of course.

I ‘ve watched Pride and Prejudice – the Keira Knightley version – many, many times. It seems whenever I turn on the telly, this movie is playing – Keira with her terrible bangs. (Forgive me, I just don’t care for her hairstyle in this movie.)

Anywho, back to the real Pride & Prejudice...

Oh my.

Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. 

He’s as delicious as you’d might expect, but what I liked most about this movie, was the character development. 

It’s about 6 hours long, as this movie was originally 6 episodes in a mini-series on BBC, so the length allows for more dialogue and more in-depth character development throughout the movie.  It is superbly acted, Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennet, is wonderful – but again, each character is given more emphasis. From her mother, to her father, and all the sisters - to Mr. Wickham, Mr. Collins, and of course...Lady Catherine de Bourgh. Each character is "filled out" which really made the difference for me. It's so, so, so different from the glammed-up, shorter Keira version…which admittedly, I still do enjoy.

The Colin P&P is an authentic, truly enjoyable adaptation of this classic story, and I hope you’ll take the time to check it out!


Thanks for reading, and stay tuned! March is upon us, it's springtime... and there’s lots of fresh, new things to look forward to! I'll officially kick-off my March calendar this weekend - see you then.

Girl Turns 40

No comments:

Post a Comment