Tuesday, March 15, 2011

#4. Sunshine Cleaning - March Movie Review


GT40 Movie Night is typically reserved for a “classic” movie – again, one I haven’t seen, but always wanted to watch. My movie selection for March is definitely off-the- beaten-path… less classic, and more quirky, to say the least.  ‘Spring cleaning’ is the theme of the month – so why not Sunshine Cleaning?










Grade: B-

A quick summary:
Two sisters, who are down-on-their-luck, start a business cleaning up after crime scenes that are bloody, unsavory and not-so-nice circumstances. The draw? The pay is really good (and I found myself contemplating this). 

Rose (Amy Adams) is the high school has-been: cheerleader-who-dated-the-quarterback, popular girl….who now has the QB’s son, but not the QB.  She’s smart though, and recognizes the opportunity to start the cleaning business with the help of the QB – who she’s having an affair with. (Ugh.)

Norah (Emily Blunt) is the sister with no apparent ambition or talents, and she is coerced into becoming Rose’s partner. Additionally, Joe (Alan Arkin) plays a loving father figure, but is also on the lookout for a deal to make some quick cash.

Overall, I liked it.  It’s billed as a ‘comedy-drama’ but I would argue it’s more drama, and less comedy. I think I may have chuckled once. It’s a dark movie, and resonated with me about how families are scraping by. There’s an element of despair and depression in some parts, which almost makes the story real.  Thank goodness for Alan Arkin and his comedic timing – he helps to lighten the mood.

I always like a happy ending, and as endings go – this movie doesn’t disappoint. There’s a glimmer of hope, an unselfish act of love, and an overall feeling that it’s all gonna work out OK.

Whew!

I like it enough to recommend it – so if you haven’t seen it….give it a go, just know it’s not Disney.

Girl Turns 40

No comments:

Post a Comment