Sunday, May 1, 2011

#3. May Book Review – Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen









Grade : C 
OK, but I was hoping for something...different.

I hate to say it – Carl Hiaasen has sold millions of books – but I am not a fan.  
(Big Sigh.) Mr. Hiaasen is a best-selling author, and is most acclaimed for his fictional works with themes of property development and subsequent environmental destruction of his native Florida.  Sounds promising, eh?

The Girl Gist:
This book is about a woman who is tossed overboard by her husband during their wedding anniversary cruise. The husband becomes suspicious that his wife (Joey, the main character) has ‘found out’ about his fraudulent behavior in falsifying records for corporation illegally dumping fertilizer and waste products in the Everglades. Paranoid, he attempts to kill her by chucking her overboard – only she doesn’t die. She’s rescued, and then plots against him (think blackmail) until, I guess… he implodes. It goes on and on…it’s just not very believable.

Certainly Mr. Hiaasen has serious fans, and the best thing about the book is that it is easy to read. The descriptions are certainly entertaining and attention-grabbing - I had high hopes! Afterall, this was my choice for a book on the subject of the environment… and Carl Hiaasen seemed the perfect choice…but, no.  I mean, is it too much to ask to have an educational anecdote about the environment, but believable, and easy like a beach read? Hmmph. Well, I haven’t found one.

So, on to greener pastures – no pun intended.

Stay tuned for my bonus trip: the Antiques Festival in Liberty, NC!


GT40

No comments:

Post a Comment