Sunday, January 30, 2011

Plan B – My January TOTM (Trip of the Month): Charlotte, NC


My plans changed.

Originally, for my trip of the month, I was scheduled to go up into the North Carolina mountains to a small little town named Shatley Springs. This town boasts the most unusual of art pieces: 3 frescoes in 3 little churches.  Since January’s focus has been spiritual in nature, I thought this was a mighty fine idea.  Alas, Old Man Winter had another plan – and I simply couldn’t get there. Plus, it’s off-season for this area with many businesses closed due to the winter. So, hmmmmm…Plan B.

I was raised in the South, as a Southern Baptist (and I have a deep respect for my roots) but have also spent years in California, and have learned to accept different cultures, religions, and people.  (You know….a little bit country, and little bit rock n’ roll, so to speak spiritually.)  So, I decided Plan B would be to visit the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte, NC. 




















Most people know or have heard of Billy Graham, as he is quite possibly the most famous evangelist of the 20th century. The Library is really a large museum of galleries highlighting different portions of Billy Graham’s life. 

I’m a history buff – so I much enjoyed little tidbits, including the fact that Billy Graham has counseled no fewer than 12 Presidents, from Truman to Obama. 




















An interesting gallery with console televisions (from back-in-the-day) running clips of Billy Graham’s younger years.




















Other interesting clips and photo galleries included a large round room with interactive video from ministers speaking about Billy Graham from around the world.





















The final gallery is a techno-experience. You walk through an archway shaped as a cross – which leads to an enormous Thomas Kinkade wall painting.





















My favorite part was the landscape surrounding the Library. There were winding paths through the grounds, leading from one meditative spot to another.  Note the huge green “portabello-mushroom” speaker below the sign….







































Absolutely beautiful music was piped outdoors, and these ‘musical mushrooms’ dotted the landscape throughout, it was truly wonderful.

Moral of the story: Don’t be afraid of Plan B.  It can turn out to be a great, unexpected experience.

Happy Sunday,

GT40


No comments:

Post a Comment